Thursday, September 3, 2009

Autism back to school help

Having trouble viewing this email? Try the web version.
Forward this e-mail to a friend.
Autism Society of America - Improving the lives of all affected by autism

Communication is the key to make back to school easier

style="LINE-HEIGHT: 18px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; COLOR: #1d1d1d; FONT-SIZE: 13px"
>

Forward
Back to school for my blue-eyed, mischievous, non-verbal son with autism always seems overwhelming and scary, but open communication and open minds make the transition go more smoothly.
Because communication and social skills are huge challenges for my son, I try to plan every possible eventuality and write lots and lots of “helpful” notes to the school team in place.

By preparing overviews of how my son is at home, and laying out my hopes and fears, I let the school team know I'm a partner in their efforts to help my son succeed. We both keep our emails flowing and I check in several times a week. (And then I send a heartfelt “thank you” note to let the school team know how much I appreciate all the hard work and caring on behalf of my son!)

If you're dealing with similar back-to-school issues, I hope you'll download and use these sample forms. These helpful forms, assembled by experts at the Indiana Resource Center for Autism, can be shared with your child's school to open the lines of communication. They list daily activities, track progress and provide an overview of what your child does day in and day out.

All of us at the Autism Society wish you the best for a wonderful school year experience.

Sincerely,

Marguerite Kirst Colston
Vice President, Constituent Relations
Mother of a son with autism

Donate
 
Autism Society of America logo © 2009 AUTISM SOCIETY OF AMERICA |  Privacy Policy  |  About Us  |  Contact Us | Unsubscribe


Unsubscribe from receiving email, or change your email preferences.



Reblog this post [with Zemanta]